The holiday season is close and that means it’s time to start thinking about what gifts to buy for our loved ones. This year, let’s think about doing something different! From supporting local businesses to choosing eco-friendly materials, there are many ways to make your holiday gifts count!
Instead of buying gifts that will end up in the landfill, we should concentrate on what our dear ones really need, and buy gifts that are useful, eco-friendly, and sustainable. It all starts with being more mindful about what, why, and where we buy gifts.
If you are wondering what you should do to become more conscious and sustainable with your shopping, here are a few tips:
1. Support local businesses as much as you can. Buying from local businesses supports the economy in your community and helps reduce your carbon footprint since there’s no need to ship products over long distances.
2. Use your talent and hobbies to make the gifts yourself instead of buying them – who doesn’t love homemade cookies, right?
3. When choosing Christmas presents, focus on quality over quantity and buy things that can be used and will remain useful for a long time.
4. Be an informed shopper – know what you’re buying and why you’re buying it. Take the time to learn about the company or brands you’re considering supporting. Find out if they have sustainable and ethical practices in place.
5. There’s no denying that prices are high and inflation is real. Of course, that doesn’t mean we should stop spending altogether- what you can do is make a budget and stick to it!
6. Be mindful of packaging. Excess packaging is a huge problem for the environment. Try to find gifts that come with minimal packaging or opt for reusable packaging options whenever possible.
7. Consider the materials used. Look for gifts made from sustainable materials like bamboo, organic cotton, or recycled materials. Avoid products made from plastic or other non-renewable resources. Choose items that are not only meaningful, but also sustainable and eco-friendly – you can opt for a beautiful recycled notebook, or piece of jewellery.
By following these basic steps, you can enjoy the holidays and show your loved ones how much you care without breaking the bank – or the planet.
If you know that your best friend wants to join a gym but has been procrastinating for a long time, why not encourage them with a one-month membership at their favourite gym? A spa or massage session for your mother – she will surely enjoy it! Booking a couple of nights in a mountain resort with your partner sounds like a great getaway in nature! The soul of the party will surely be excited about dance lessons, as will your foodie friend about cooking classes.
Even though some might consider them too impersonal, vouchers offer people the possibility to choose the precise product they need. This is useful particularly when it comes to cosmetics.
When choosing a clothing item, it’s important to opt for products that can be returned. This way, if the recipient doesn’t like what they’ve received, or if it doesn’t fit them, they can simply return it and you haven’t wasted any resources. This will help them feel more comfortable about making a sustainable choice, and it will help reduce waste in the long run.
It’s so easy to get caught up in the latest seasonal trends, whether it’s the newest fashions for winter or the hottest holiday gifts. But if you’re trying to shop more consciously, it’s important to think long-term instead of succumbing to the pressures of seasonal trends.
If you’re focused on sustainable fashion, you might want, for example, to invest in timeless pieces that you or your dear ones will be able to wear for years to come, rather than trendy items that will go out of style as soon as the next season rolls around.
Of course, it’s still okay to indulge in a little bit of seasonal fun from time to time – but try not to let yourself get too caught up in the hype. By thinking long-term, you can make better choices that will benefit both you and the planet in the long run.
Wellness, goodness, health
If you are thinking about the cherry on the icing when it comes to presents for your dear ones, there is no better way than to offer something that will show them that you care about their health, wellness, and longevity. For example, health supplements which can boost their immunity in the cold season, raise their energy levels in stressful periods, and improve their overall health and well-being are all a nice, caring touch.
Organic, recycled, vegan
There are so many reasons to buy products that are friendly to nature! They’re good for health, for the environment, and for the animals. Here are just a few of the many reasons to make the switch to eco-friendly products:
・Organic products are free of harmful pesticides and chemicals.
・Recycled products help reduce pollution and conserve resources.
・Vegan products are kinder to animals and don’t contribute to animal cruelty.
・All of these choices help to reduce your carbon footprint.
So, the next time you’re shopping or looking for a gift, keep all of these things in mind. There are so many amazing sustainable and ethical brands out there making great products – it has never been easier to shop consciously!